Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Everyone Deserves to Feel Pretty Once in a While.

It's already March! Where the heck is the time going? It's crazy to think I just had my 10 year high school a few months ago. (Shout out to Flanagan High School WHOO!!!)  I was so fortunate to have parents who could afford to buy me a prom dress and accessories and all the details required to make me feel like the princess I  was that night. (And I still am hehe.) Prom night is an amazing night for so many high school seniors. With today's economy and the high cost of prom tickets (I heard $190 for tickets at one school...seriously?) its difficult if not impossible to afford to have a nice dress too. Especially if  that teen is living in a group home setting. I've been really fortunate to have a strange, eccentric but loving family to raise me, but there are so many teens who don't have that. Due to one situation or another, they end up in state services and if they're very lucky they end up living at SOS Children's Village. 




 Its very common for kids who become a ward of the state to be seperated from their siblings and are raised in different foster homes, sometimes never seeing their sibling again.  In 1993,Broward Family Court Judge Estella Moriarty opened SOS Children's Village in Broward County with the promise of providing healing, hope and a home. To date, they've helped raise over 250 boys and girls. These kids are given love and a home, but don't always have the means for those special occasions like prom or homecoming. So here's my plan...Let's collect gently used evening dresses..( I have oodles that I can't shimmy my booty into any longer.) and donate them to high school seniors living at SOS who may not have the opportunity to wear a really nice dress on prom night. 




Experiment in Kindness





















From now until May 1, 2011, I will be collecting your gently used dresses to donate to SOS Children's Village for some really lucky girls to use on prom night. Simply respond to this post and I'll schedule to pick up your donation! 



Now that all of those dresses will be out of your closet imagine how much room you'll have for all of your new purchases! 

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea. I love the blog and the concept behind it. Giver's Gain!

    ReplyDelete