Wednesday, March 9, 2011

SOS Dress Drive Part 1



What a difference a week makes! We've gotten such a great response from people donating their dresses to SOS Children's Village. People are retweeting and passing on my link on Facebook and DONATING!!! DONATING DRESSES! Whoo hoo! This morning I even shared our mission with my BNI Chapter (the BEST chapter I do have to say) Elite BNI.
People are reaching into their closets and their friends closets (hope they asked first) and dusting off those dresses that are patiently hanging in the closet just waiting to be worn again. 


I've been so moved by the responses I'm getting that with Lent beginning today I decided to give up shopping. Wait, did I just decide to give up shopping. Yep. I think I just went off the deep end. You have to understand, I don't think of myself as a hoarder of clothes, rather I like to consider myself as a connoisseur of retail therapy. 

During Lent, its all too easy to say, sure I'll give up Starbucks or chocolate  or some other indulgence that I really shouldn't be eating anyway and not really grasp the meaning of Lent. So today, I had an employee of mine ask me what I was giving up and I thought of the kids living at SOS. Its such an amazing group home that keeps siblings together and enriches their lives by helping them find forever homes. The average stay at SOS is two years and in those two years, most girls don't always have access to the nicer things we take for granted. So you can imagine how selfish I felt when I cringed at the thought of giving up shopping for Lent. It would be such a great experience to not shop for myself  and instead collect dresses to donate to those girls who are going to prom this year. 


SO, I know how motivated you must be now to grab that dress out of your closet and donate it to SOS. 
Send an email to 1kindact@gmail.com and we'll contact you to donate your dress. The drive continues through May 1, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment