Friday, March 18, 2011

SOS Dress Drive Day 9- The Shopping Bug Has Hit. Lord HELP ME

Ok, so remember when I decided to give up shopping for Lent in honor of the girls at SOS...well the shopping bug has hit me harder than I thought it would. It's been 9 days since I made that commitment, and I'm paying for it literally. I never realized how hard it would be to hide the debit card and not shop for things that I feel are a necessity that truly aren’t. Earlier this week I took a trip to Sephora and told myself that I was doing “homework”. Only checking out the new trends for spring and for my BF’s wedding next weekend…that new coral polish at Sephora I’ve been dying to put on my dinky little nails since my manicure chipped 3 days ago, the Benefit eye shadow that my best friend is asking “nicely” I wear to her wedding next weekend. It’s almost like a knee jerk reflex, I whip out my credit card head to the register and then it hits me….LENT. The Catholic in me was guilting myself for even THINKING of buying makeup. The shopaholic in me wanted to tell the Catholic to say a few Hail Mary’s and get over it. I stood in the middle of the store warring with myself,  looking like one of those cartoon characters turning my head from side to side. “Yes buy it, no what the heck are you thinking?” I quickly thanked the sales girl who was looking at me like I lost my mind and dropped the products like a bad habit. Grumbling to myself on the way back to the car I noticed the chick next to me with the armful of shopping bags. What the heck is she giving up for Lent? Definitely not shopping. Why the heck did I decide to give this up? I could have given up coffee, a vital, but unnecessary vice. It would have been less painful than giving up shopping. UGH.  Now what the heck am I going to do? This wedding is in one week and we need the eye shadow in that EXACT color and the polish to go with it. If I show up to her wedding bare faced, I think she may have an aneurysm.
Now in my defense, please understand, I’m not this millionaire housewife who can shop till she drops..I’m like the total opposite! I have two full time jobs trying to pay down debt (see I thought I was some millionare housewife when I was 18…lesson learned)  and put away what little money’s left over. We make a decent living and can afford ourselves a few nice things once in a while (Cheesecake Factory anyone?). But come on. I’m a girl a very girly girl at that and every once in a while a girl’s gotta spoil herself a bit. Now living and working in Miami certain people can take that to the extreme (weekends at the Mandarin Oriental, breakfast at Nikki Beach I’m not mentioning names, but I have no clue how she does it But I want to be her when I grow up.) I’m just talking about a little nail polish and the occasional blow out.
In hindsight, I’m happy that I chose to give up shopping for Lent. Kinda hitting it where it hurts. It’s really reminding me about why I gave up shopping. There are plenty of girls…250 of them in fact who can’t spend money for frivolous things whenever the heck they want.  Fine, fine I put away my credit card (stamped my feet and pouted like a three year old ) dug through my plethora of makeup and started calling all of my make up addicted friends over to experiment with colors. This afternoon I  called Vickie Walter at SOS to talk about how many girls needed dresses. I was excited when she told me they were getting ready for a gala night on May 7th and some of the residents would be attending. Can you imagine their little Rachel Zoe-ish dreams would come true(She’s my hero. Sigh)? Feeling like a diva complete with gown and accessories for one night? Ok, that made me feel better about not giving in to my shopping impulses. Let’s see how I do the next 37 days…..OH 37 MORE DAYS! 
We’re gonna have to shred that credit card. 

No comments:

Post a Comment